Monday, July 29, 2013

Picket Fence Headboard

It seems to be that I get the best ideas in my sleep, or maybe its that mid-sleep mid-wake time. Either way sleep must do me some good. I woke up one morning with the idea in my head that I would make Juliana a Picket Fence Headboard. For months I have been stewing over what to do for Juliana for a bed since we will be needing to convert the toddler bed that she is sleeping in now, back into a crib for the new baby. I really didn't want to spend a lot of money on a nice bed to just decide in a couple of years that we want to get bunk beds or cute matching twin beds. So I started googling and pintresting. I found a lot of great ideas.
I told my sweet friend Caycee about it and she loved the idea, she started thinking it could be cute for her girls rooms also. It turned out to be a great thing for both of us because we motivated each other to get it done. She called me and said lets go look at wood! We found wood pieces for .75 a piece which was a steal! Only it really needed to be sanded. So I took all of the pieces to my moms where they have 2 huge sanders and we got to work. I did as much as I could until I just couldn't take the dust anymore. My mom and her boyfriend did all the rest and they did a great job!
This is what the wood looked like before sanding, it's hard to tell but it was very rough and not very pretty. It was also curved making it harder to sand. 

After sanding, so smooth and pretty! 

We even put Juliana to work, she did a good job blowing off the extra dust. 

Next these bad boys needed to get painted, I had the perfect white paint but I woke up once again with a thought... I started questioning whether I wanted to use the white paint or use a stain or what. I really wanted the wood grab. To show thru. So I painted my support boards with the white I had with one coat and while it didnt look bad it wasn't the look I was going for. 
Support boards with one coat of white. 

I know I could just sand it but I did that with another project and it still didnt give me the finished look I was going for. My first thought was to go buy a white stain but then I decided to try to water down the paint that I already had. I really wanted to see the grain on the wood so after a couple of trials I finally got it! Or so I thought.... It wasnt dark enough so I ended up doing a ton of layers. Plus the paint would be perfect in some spots and just soak right in other spots so it wasnt a very even look. I didnt end up achieving the look I was going for but I was so tired after painting all day that I didn't even care anymore. 

I got everything done except putting on the support boards, I waited for Jorge to do that. 
Putting the hub to work 

The last thing I had to do was buy a frame and mattresses.. And figure out bedding. 
Headboard complete. 

And.... Done!